temperatures are causing plants and flowers to bloom late this year. We
estimate that plants are at least three weeks behind in growth, as compared to
a typical season.
North International has TONS to offer whether it is wire fencing to protect
your vegetables or garden, tools to help with yard work or décor to spice up
our list of things to do this month to keep the garden looking great.
- Make sure garden beds are clean
and free of weeds and debris.
- Prep planting beds
by adding organic material and soil amendments.
- Dig and divide early-blooming
perennials once they’ve finished flowering.
- Set supports for floppy plants,
like welded wire.
- Set up sprinklers and start a
regular watering program. Be sure your lawn and plants get about an inch
of water a week.
- Mulch landscape beds, adding a
two to three-inch layer of pine bark mulch or hardwood mulch to help
reduce weeds and conserve moisture.
- Deadhead bulb plants as the
flowers fade, but allow foliage to remain until yellow to nourish bulbs
for next year’s display.
- Look for pests. Early detection
is the key to plant health.
- Wait to prune evergreens,
hedges, and other shrubs until the end of this month.
- Fertilize your plants
- Prune plants, removing winter
dieback and visible signs of winter damage. Also remove diseased, dead,
weak or crossing branches.
- Plant summer annuals after the
last frost date. Keep an eye on the weather and protect plants from frost
or freezing temperatures.
- Plant summer-flowering bulbs
such as gladiolas and dahlias. Plant a few every week to ensure continuous
- Plant deciduous and evergreen
trees and shrubs.
- Repair any bare patches in your
lawn. Fill in bare spots by loosening the soil surface and sowing a good
quality grass seed over the area evenly. Tamp the seed in gently and
water. Keep the area moist by using a paper mulch or straw.
- Fertilize your lawn around
Memorial Day with Step 2 of a season-long lawn fertilizer program.
- Re-cut bed edges to keep things
looking neat and tidy.
more products, visit our website: https://farnorthcorp.com/